Hello Again!

We're still here! We might not have posted for over a month, but we haven't forgotten about you, readers. Hope everyone's summer has been as fun and productive as ours has!

Right after we last left you, in the middle of July, we started on a huge undertaking. July is a really slow month of the year - for retail in general, and especially for us. We thought it was the perfect time to start a big project. We got a new type cabinet!

We were put in touch with a retiring local printer, Doug, through a local Portland man who sold us our original type cabinet, right after we moved here. Doug had a studio up on the slopes of Mount Hood, so we rented a van on a nice Saturday morning and drove up into the forest. The studio was small but had so much stuff perfectly packed in - including a beautiful press that was, unfortunately, already spoken for! We chatted with him for a while about printing life and Portland - it's always nice to meet other printers, especially experienced people who can pass down a bit of their printerly wisdom (and humor) and to us. After saying goodbye to him and Rhododendron and wishing that we had a cute Alpine a-frame in the forest, we headed back to Portland.

One thing I haven't mentioned, which is what made this a

project

is that the type cabinet wasn't empty when we got it. It was full of metal type - 24 drawers full of metal type. Type is heavy. Lots of those drawers had two or more fonts in the drawer. To put it in perspective, one typical font weighs about 5-8 pounds. The total weight of all these fonts was probably somewhere around 300 pounds. Not to mention the cabinet, also made of metal! Oh, and a slab of granite to sit on top of the cabinet (currently at the storage unit - we didn't even want to imagine trying to get it up the stairs). Needless to say, we were pretty tired by the time we got everything carried up to our apartment.

We decided that we couldn't possibly keep all the fonts that came in the drawers - we already have something like 75 fonts, and not enough space for all of them (which is why we originally wanted to get another type cabinet). We sold some on eBay, where we have gotten many fonts in the past - there are lots of fellow printers out there who aren't as lucky as we were to get a whole cabinet full of type! Each font that we sold was carefully packed in alphabetical order, letter by letter, line by line (about one hour per font). But we also kept a lot of them - everything we could. We're so excited about the new fonts we got - when we drove away in the van, we couldn't believe all the amazing things we got - modern, ornate, and everything in between. We'll show photos of everything in another post! Oh - and before I forget -

Our wonderful new type cabinet! It's half the size of our

old one

, but holds the same number of fonts - now we just need to find another one to replace the old one and everything will be perfect. (But hopefully that one is empty - three weeks of type moving, selling, replacing, cataloging, and organizing isn't something we can handle more than once a

year

lifetime :)